Skip to content

General

128 results found

1. recommendation: Super Lexi by Emma Lesko

Super Lexi is a great new series by Emma Lesko, about Lexi, a girl who takes the differences between herself and the other kids in her school, and sees them as "super powers."

Very empowering for kids who tend to think outside the box!

254 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. book suggestion - written by mighty girls for mighty girls!

I am writing to recommend a book for your site. This book is an inspirational autobiographical work about two girls who both suffer from a neuro-immunologic disorder and the paralysis and disability associated with that. This book was written and published by my daughter (age 11) and her friend (age 15). You can find lots of information about it here: www.5kballet.com. Please let me know if you have questions. Thank you for your consideration.

183 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  3. Math/Science Book Suggestion - The Girl Who Could Talk to Computers

The Girls Who Could is a new series from Earth Lodge Publications for young readers, telling inspirational, fun stories about real women who've done big things. The first book in the series came out last month (The Girl Who Could Talk to Computers, by Maya Cointreau) and tells the story about Grace Hopper, the woman who wrote the first computer programs and came up with the term "debugging" by finding a moth in a computer mainframe. The kids and teachers at my daughter's preschool love it!

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. A Mighty Girls T-Shirt

How about a "I'm A Mighty Girl" T-shirt??? please!!

Also our mighty girl book club read 2 great book this month that I don't think they are on your list. You may wat to add them: Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones and Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane. They were a hit!
    Love the site- great work!

Best,
    Kim

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Mighty Girl Magazine

Well, it isn't really MY idea, but I remember reading somewhere about attempts to get a Mighty Girl Magazine up and off the ground, but I can't find any information on it anywhere...I was so thrilled with the prospect of a magazine for young women that was nurturing, inspiring, and encouraging to replace the shaming, oppressive, vapid swill that one currently finds on the shelves. Is this still happening? Is there any more information? I, and quite a few of my friends, were really interested in the idea of a Mighty Girl Magazine. Please, let us know!

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Posters of famous women in science needed

I think it would be great if you sold posters of women who were famous scientists. They are very inspirational to girls.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Future Presidents Club

Good Afternoon,
    Christine Dzidrums is an award-winning children's writer. She focuses most of her efforts on books about girl empowerment. She's recently released a beginning chapter book entitled Future Presidents Club: Girls Rule. It's about a six year old girl who wonders why there has never been a female U.S. president so she starts a club with her friends centered on what they will do when they enter the White House. The book was a big hit with parents and their children at the LA Times Festival of Books last month. We just launched its Facebook website yesterday and the…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Get Taber is beutiful

You guys have a great website. You should add Taber is Beautiful by Samantha Degrasse to your catalog. It is a great book for girls. I run a girls program in the Bronx and will definitely be looking at your site to order books for our book club!!!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bookclub kit (aka "bookclub-in-a-box")

It would be very helpful (and possibly could also generate some funds for the site) if there was a "bookclub kit." The kit could include things like a "meeting here" sign, t-shirts, bookmarks, guidelines for starting a club, incentives like a sticker chart for completing books, helpful hints for organizers, and a list of recommended books by age -- just for ideas. (I'd personally love to be able to print out all the books for 9-year-old girls, for example.) I can also imagine including a year's worth of books for eight girls, at a discounted price. You could also call…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please more books & movies for and about Transgender Girls

You've completely left out a huge contingent of our female society already heavily discriminated against and forgotten. In my experience "female body" born girls are the most accepting of transgender girls but only once they know and understand them. Without books and movies introducing this simple and natural situation how can they?

Transgender people are born with one brain and the body of another. Such a simple concept. There are many books out there that explain this. Please post them on your site.

Undercover Girl, Whipping Girl and Be Who You Are to name a few.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →
  11. Could you please offer a booklist option that would just be title and author?

I love looking at your book recommendations. I only wish there was a viewing option (in addition to the current options) that would give the title and author of the book only (no pics, no descriptions), so that I could easily print one or two sheets to take with us to the library. As it stands, if I try to print any of the current formats, there are too many pictures of the book covers, and it takes up too many pages to print! I like to have book lists in our folders to take to the library so we…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. Books of Elsewhere

Please consider including the New York Times bestselling series for young readers The Books of Elsewhere by Jacqueline West. It's about a strong female protagonist who is brave, insightful, and flawed in ways that are not stereotypical or girly. FULL DISCLOSURE: it's by my wife, who is all those things and more.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tablet and Phone Apps for Mighty Girls:

Ignoring that screen time isn't the best use of time, know that lots of us navigate permitting it and customizing the experience for educational / and entertainment purposes.

The only place for decent reviews of kids tablet apps is Commonsense Media. They do a good job but sill have a gender bias found in wider society. For example if one tries to filter for apps for girls, ages 5-6, we get a series of fashion "dress-up" apps. While they may not put gender neutral apps in a "boy" category they aren't filtering with creating strong women in mind. My suggestion…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. recommendation: Killer of Enemies by Joseph Bruchac

Killer of Enemies is a fantastic, post-apocalyptic book by Joseph Bruchac featuring an Apache girl as the protagonist. She's a monster hunter, an independent thinker, and a strong voice. (Her name is Lozen, after a similarly strong-willed historical Apache woman.) It's definitely well worth a read, and Lozen is a hero to remember.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Book suggestions

I would like to recommend several books by Julie E. Czerneda for your list. I noticed that you have only 24 books in the Science Fiction list, and her books would fit right in there.

Her "Species Imperative" series - Survival (#1), Migration (#2), and Regeneration (#3). These stories follow Dr. Mackenzie Connor, a biologist who runs a salmon research facility. Mac is smart, brave, resourceful, and strong. She ends up saving the human race from alien destruction.

Her "Stratification" series - Reap the Wild Wind (#1), Riders of the Storm (#2), and Rift in the Sky (#3). These stories…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Grace Hopper?

Maybe I looked in the wrong sections, but I also did a search and I couldn't find any books about Grace Hopper on your site.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. Expanding to purchase & post to Australia

Love your Facebook posts on my newsfeed. Would love to be able to purchase some items for my 2 mighty girls but live in Australia.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  19. sorting/filters

Firstly, as a children's librarian I think this site is super cool. But, it was be extra useful to me from an ordering standpoint if I were able to sort it or limit the book lists by pub date. Probably not so much to the rest of the world, but to me. :)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Would love to see a category for Math!

I love the ability to sort through books, toys, etc by age, interests and so on. I think it would be fabulous to have category for Math/SCience/STEM for folks who want to encourage girls in those areas. :)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base