Skip to content

General

128 results found

1. Book recommendation

My Heart Smiles by Diana Oman is a fantastic book! Little girls will love it.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Groovy Girls

We love groovy girls dolls at our house. They are available at most toy stores (including Indigo), and I think they'd be a great addition to your toy collection. I started looking into them when my daughter (then 18 months) started talking about Barbie. I'm not ready for Barbie to have a presence in our house just yet, but Groovy Girls (colourful, plush, diverse) I'm okay with.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Media to avoid

I love this site, and I love how positive it is. But I would like to suggest adding 'books to avoid' to the site as well.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Some UK-related books (suffrage movement)

A few suggestions on UK women's suffrage (I don't think I've seen any of these on AMG when I've been browsing):

Non-fiction

Emily Davidson: The Girl Who Gave Her Life For Her Cause (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emily-Davison-Girl-Cause-was/dp/1904095666) age range 9-12?

Emmeline Pankhurst (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emmeline-Pankhurst-Famous-People-Lives/dp/0749636750) age range 6-12?

Sylvia Pankhurst (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sylvia-Pankhurst-Classroom-Shirley-Harrison/dp/095539631X) age range 13+ (Sylvia's influence runs a lot further than just the suffrage movement, though)

Fiction

Suffragette: My Story (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suffragette-My-Story-Carol-Drinkwater/dp/1407120727) age range 9-12?

A Question of Courage (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Question-Courage-Marjorie-Darke/dp/1903015219) age range 9-12?

Polly's March (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pollys-March-Linda-Newbery/dp/0746060319) age range 9-12?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Stories to learn

Hello,

As someone interested in, and clearly knowledgeable about writing for children, I wanted to let you know about a new project all focusing on wonder of storytelling. I'm hoping that you either may be able to help, offer advice, are interested in the premise, or could share this with people who would like to get involved. Even a tweet would be grand!

Let’s Tell Stories was set up by myself and Javier Orti due to our belief that words give structure to our thoughts and feelings, and stories put perspective on things, offer understanding, help us reframe ideas, and…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. List the NAP series - Women's Adventures in Science

Can you please consider including the National Academies Press' series, Women's Adventures in Science, on your website? It's a biography set of 10 books about contemporary women scientists and their fascinating careers, that shows that the path from intellectually curious girl to talented innovator is as unique as the personality and circumstances of each scientist.

I believe these books are for kids aged 4-8.

Here are the prices -- they're running a holiday special, so you can use code GIFT13 for a 25% discount off the list price for books and merchandise.

Buy the set: $89.50 $67.13
    Each book: $9.95…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Halloween ideas

Books:
    Little Witch and the Riddle by Bruce Degen
    The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches by Alice Low

Movie:
    Hocus Pocus

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  9. 'Why' by Lindsay Camp and Tony Ross

Lily is a little girl who drives her dad mad by asking why all the time. Then, one day, her questioning saves the world.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  10. Women In Nature Books

I love that you have a nature section for young girls. I'm assuming someone knows of a book that shows a woman living in nature like Henry David Thoreau's Walden, or like Eustace Conway's Turtle Island.

I was discussing this with my professor but I do know of any stories written about a women living with nature? Do you have any books that are written like that, if not, what are your thoughts as to why women in "stories" aren't living in nature.

Please let me know. I would love the feedback.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  11. Thanks for making the world mightier!

I'm so happy you added Dolores Huerta: A Hero to Migrant Workers to your site. Dolores is a mighty teacher, leader, mom and hero. She is a great example of the impact we can make when we pay attention, care and act. Thank you for sharing her story with your readers, young heroes and heroes in the making! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support your work.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  12. Stop Glitzing up Mulan

(I posted this already, but forgot to post the link to the petition! Sorry!)

I love what you did for Merida and in support of strong role models for girls. Did you know that there is a similar petition effort for Mulan? Give it a read and maybe you will be inspired to help pass the word about another hero for girls who needs our help!

https://www.change.org/petitions/disney-corporation-stop-glitzing-up-mulan

Thanks! Maureen

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. Stop Glitzing up Mulan

I love what you did for Merida and in support of strong role models for girls. Did you know that there is a similar petition effort for Mulan? Give it a read and maybe you will be inspired to help pass the word about another hero for girls who needs our help!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. Phoebe Gilman: great stories about strong girls

I was disappointed to see you didn't have one of my favourite authors growing up: Phoebe Gilman, so I thought I'd share so others can enjoy her work. Her series Jillian Jiggs and stories "The Balloon Tree" and "Grandma and the Pirates" have strong young female protagonists and all her books have great messages. They also feature beautiful artwork that she illustrated herself. All of her books are not to be missed.
    http://www.phoebegilman.com/books.html

Thanks for creating this site. I know I'll be glad to have it someday when I

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  15. Start a Petition, My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic

Hi,
    Thank you so much for starting the Merida petition. It meant so much to so many people.

Similar in vein to the situation with Merida, Hasbro studios is making a movie version of the MLP:FIM franchise- and in doing so is seriously and significantly undermining the character-building, non-sexualizing aspects of the characters.

I think you've done something deeply important with the Merida petition that is really making the whole of society (and people's relationship to large and powerful businesses) better.

Thank you so much for your time,
    Rebecca Hiner

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  17. Polarn O. Pyret: gender neutral and mighty girls clothing

I noticed you don't have Polarn O. Pyret listed in your clothing section - at least, I can't find them! Check out polarnopyretusa.com. They have an entire section of gender neutral clothing, and their girls clothing has lots of fun pieces that allow for all kinds of tastes and mighty play times. They even have undies that don't feature licensed characters or a ton of pink! I think Po.P would be a great addition to your clothing collection. Here's a couple of examples:

http://www.polarnopyretusa.com/index/page/product/product_id/5748/

http://www.polarnopyretusa.com/index/page/product/product_id/

http://www.polarnopyretusa.com/index/page/product/product_id/5458/

I am a volunteer brand ambassador, and a parent who buys Po.P. I know…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. Create a conscious, empowering picture book!

I am inviting you to help co-create an empowering children's book I am publishing via Kickstarter. "Firenze's Light" is the tale of a firefly who must decide whether to hide her light or let it shine for the world to see. This book has love, optimism, introspection and compassion at its core. Kickstarter allows you to get behind a project you want to see created, chose a reward (like first-edition copies of the book, prints of the illustrations etc.) with all proceeds from the rewards going to fund the book. We only have until May 18th to meet our goal,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  20. Shadow of the Dragon series

I realise you may have a backlog of books to add, but please also add the Shadow of the Dragon series by Kate O'Hearn! The two lead characters are sisters - one 12, the other, not sure but younger. According to the 'stupid laws' of the kingdom, Kira, the eldest must be married by thirteen, but all she wants to do is ride Dragons like her dad (which for a girl is against the law).

Our four-year-old loved the two books (which are begging to be made into summer blockbusters, they're so visual and action-packed.) My wife and I just…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base