Skip to content

General

128 results found

1. Recommendation 13+ A Distant Prospect

Quietly self-published in Australia in 2012, this richly-woven tale sees four school-age girls in 1928 Sydney overcoming the lasting impacts of the Great War on their families.

One girl is a childhood polio survivor, two have lost their mothers in tragic circumstances, and two their fathers, but music (they form a string quartet), friendship, and the sacrifices of adults reeling from war's effects, provide strength and support as they uncover a terrible secret, and ultimately find hope and identity, despite sadness and suffering yet to come.

Just selected for 2015 summer reading lists by a US education provider. Highly recommended…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Recommendation: Agora Arts

Agora Arts is a creative studio that teaches music, creative movement, as well as Aerial Acrobatics. They accept people from ages 8-100+. They are compiled of mostly females, but they cater to males as well...

My 10 year old and 6 year old attend classes here. This studio has transformed their minds and bodies into superhuman powerhouses of creative, confident, and amazing little girls.

My oldest started Aerial classes a little over 6 months ago and is just out of control amazing. To top it off she went from being shy and self conscious to very outgoing, strong, and confident!…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  3. Step-parenting resources

I have been following you on facebook for a few months and I love the encouraging posts and the book recommendations. I enjoy looking through the book suggestions and I love the books I've purchased so far!

I noticed that there isn't a section for step-parenting (or I haven't found it). I would really love to have some books/resources on step-parenting and handling some of the unique issues that come with it. Do you have any suggestions?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  4. book suggestion: The Nina books, by Madhvi Ramani

The Nina series features Nina - a mighty girl - who travels to different countries using her aunt's magical garden shed. She is smart and adventurous and my daughter loves her! There rare three books in the series so far:
    Nina and the Kung Fu Adventure
    Nina and the Magical Carnival
    Nina and the Travelling Spice Shed

Nina is Indian and she meets diverse characters on her journies so children can learn about different cultures and countries (there are facts at the end of each book to supplement learning). Please add!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  5. book suggestion - written by mighty girls for mighty girls!

I am writing to recommend a book for your site. This book is an inspirational autobiographical work about two girls who both suffer from a neuro-immunologic disorder and the paralysis and disability associated with that. This book was written and published by my daughter (age 11) and her friend (age 15). You can find lots of information about it here: www.5kballet.com. Please let me know if you have questions. Thank you for your consideration.

183 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  6. Book Recommendation: Call Me Hope by Gretchen Olson

I'd like to recommend "Call Me Hope," a middle grade novel (5th-8th grade). The story follows 11-year-old Hope Elliot as she begins her sixth grade year excited for the annual spring Outdoor School. But life begins to unravel as she struggles to live under the pressure of her verbally abusive mother. With increasing strain of her mother's abuse, Hope creates a secret haven and finds comfort from Holocaust stories, especially "Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl." The book has received numerous awards including the Kentucky Blue Grass Award, voted favorite book by 6th-8th grade readers in the state. School…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. recommendation: Super Lexi by Emma Lesko

Super Lexi is a great new series by Emma Lesko, about Lexi, a girl who takes the differences between herself and the other kids in her school, and sees them as "super powers."

Very empowering for kids who tend to think outside the box!

254 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Math/Science Book Suggestion - The Girl Who Could Talk to Computers

The Girls Who Could is a new series from Earth Lodge Publications for young readers, telling inspirational, fun stories about real women who've done big things. The first book in the series came out last month (The Girl Who Could Talk to Computers, by Maya Cointreau) and tells the story about Grace Hopper, the woman who wrote the first computer programs and came up with the term "debugging" by finding a moth in a computer mainframe. The kids and teachers at my daughter's preschool love it!

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  9. Recommendation: When God Was a Little Girl

This is a short story I wrote for my daughter -- now turned into a beautiful children's book; we just won a 2014 Silver Award from the national Nautilus Book Awards. Both playful & profound, the story retells creation through the image of God as a little girl doing an art project. On each page God appears as a little girl with different ethnic features. The tale is told as a gentle conversation between father & daughter, with care given to both diversity and ecology in the telling. It is NOT cutesy, but rather at once simple and profound. A…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  10. recommendation: Killer of Enemies by Joseph Bruchac

Killer of Enemies is a fantastic, post-apocalyptic book by Joseph Bruchac featuring an Apache girl as the protagonist. She's a monster hunter, an independent thinker, and a strong voice. (Her name is Lozen, after a similarly strong-willed historical Apache woman.) It's definitely well worth a read, and Lozen is a hero to remember.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. A Ride on the Red Mare's Back

A Ride on the Red Mare's Back is a beautiful book by Ursula LeGuin illustrated by Julie Downing that definitely deserves attention. The protagonist is a girl who is brave, resourceful, and rescues her brother from trolls with the help of her toy horse that comes to life.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Public School Librarian

I am the librarian at a small, rural, public, grade 4-12 school in Ohio. On our school library website I have included a link to your page for parents and children looking for books with strong girl/women characters.I have followed your FB page for a while now, and look forward to everything you post. Thank you for everything you do! Keep up the good work!
    Mrs. Davis

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Book recommendation

My Heart Smiles by Diana Oman is a fantastic book! Little girls will love it.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. You need more play sets for little girls who want to be lawyers!

Briefcases, dress up suit jackets, gavels, children's books on what a lawyer is and does, dolls dressed as lawyers ....

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  15. Music

My grand-daughter loves to sing and act-out "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music.
    Also, I recommend Rosemary Clooney's album, Mothers and Daughters.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. get the country bunny for easter

I can't believe you guys don't have the country bunny and the little gold shoes. Possibly the best picture/story book ever written!! And about a strong female role model.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. My Hero at Home - Turning children into heroes

I need some moms opinions: I'm starting a project where I turn children into their own heroes through cartoons and then making posters where they are the stars of their own stories (from magic to art activities or sports). I think it is a good option to incentive the dialogue between children and parents, and help their self-esteem. As a mother, it makes sense to you? What is the difference between creating a world full of princesses for your daughter where she is just a witnesses or making her part of that world? At least during that phase... please, visit…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  18. Groovy Girls

We love groovy girls dolls at our house. They are available at most toy stores (including Indigo), and I think they'd be a great addition to your toy collection. I started looking into them when my daughter (then 18 months) started talking about Barbie. I'm not ready for Barbie to have a presence in our house just yet, but Groovy Girls (colourful, plush, diverse) I'm okay with.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Safe online discussion forum for girls

First, I want to say I'm a HUGE fan of A Mighty Girl's website and Facebook page even though I'm a mom to an only child who's a boy. What you do for female empowerment is incredible. I love your features and online presence.

Second, I was brainstorming further yesterday about your website, wondering if you had an online forum for girls to safely chat with each other and if so, if there was an option of pairing older girls with younger girls as a buddy system or pairing women with girls as a mentoring system. I looked and don't…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Excellent notice re: your article "Celebrating Unknown Heroes

These are such compelling and inspirational stories of women to demonstrate to girls all that we can be capable of in supporting the greater good in the world.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base