Skip to content

General

128 results found

1. Raggedy Ann is a good role model for Girls

I love Raggedy Ann books - the story of a rag doll who comes to life and has adventures when the "real for sure people" aren't looking.

The original version has some racism in it, but I've published an edited version on Kindle. I think it would be suitable for the A Mighty Girl website.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  2. Bookclub kit (aka "bookclub-in-a-box")

It would be very helpful (and possibly could also generate some funds for the site) if there was a "bookclub kit." The kit could include things like a "meeting here" sign, t-shirts, bookmarks, guidelines for starting a club, incentives like a sticker chart for completing books, helpful hints for organizers, and a list of recommended books by age -- just for ideas. (I'd personally love to be able to print out all the books for 9-year-old girls, for example.) I can also imagine including a year's worth of books for eight girls, at a discounted price. You could also call…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. A Mighty Girls T-Shirt

How about a "I'm A Mighty Girl" T-shirt??? please!!

Also our mighty girl book club read 2 great book this month that I don't think they are on your list. You may wat to add them: Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones and Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane. They were a hit!
    Love the site- great work!

Best,
    Kim

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Get Taber is beutiful

You guys have a great website. You should add Taber is Beautiful by Samantha Degrasse to your catalog. It is a great book for girls. I run a girls program in the Bronx and will definitely be looking at your site to order books for our book club!!!

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Daria

This might be debatable, but I think Daria would be a good addition to TV shows for teen girls.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Toys

Love the site! Maybe you could have a toys section, too. I know the primary focus is girls, but you do such a good job with multicultural issues too, I would love to have a database of multicultural dolls and toys.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. Thank you!

I run the GNReader and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your list of graphic novels starring Mighty Girls. In fact, I likes it so much, I led off this week's blog post discussing it. Here's a link for your perusal:
    http://gnreader.blogspot.com/2012/08/27-august-2012a-foreign-affair-plus.html

Thanks again, and keep up the great work!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  8. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Media to avoid

I love this site, and I love how positive it is. But I would like to suggest adding 'books to avoid' to the site as well.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. TV Series???

I love your website- it is invaluable to this mom of 3 girls. I would love to see suggestions for TV shows (especially for "tweens") that fit the mighty girl standards.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  11. 'Why' by Lindsay Camp and Tony Ross

Lily is a little girl who drives her dad mad by asking why all the time. Then, one day, her questioning saves the world.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  12. a change to the way it's done

I am so excited to have found your site! I have one recommendation/request though. It would be extremely helpful (especially to teachers and homeschoolers) if your historical books were listed in chronological order. I would love to incorporate many of these great books into my lesson plans, and having them in order would make that much easier to do. Just a thought. Thank you for the great book lists.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi there – Thanks for writing in with your suggestion! While they aren’t currently in chronological order, we do have them sorted into historic periods. For instance, if you click on the U.S. history tab, you’ll see sub-categories for colonial history, revolutionary, etc. For world history, we’ve currently only added sub-categories where there is a large cluster of books (for instance, WWII books under European history).

We’ll definitely think about how to make this section more user-friendly in the future but I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the sub-categories. If a user doesn’t click on U.S. History directly, she may never actually notice them.

Hope that helps and thanks again!

- Carolyn

Carolyn Danckaert
    Founder, A Mighty Girl

http://www.amightygirl.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/amightygirl
    http://pinterest.com/amightygirl/
    https://twitter.com/#!/amightygirl

13. New Author to Watch!

Have you read anything by the new middle grade/YA author Erin Moulton? Both her first book, Flutter, and her second, Tracing Stars, have wonderfully strong, spunky, and non-traditional "mighty girls" as their protagonists. Must-reads!
    http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780142421338
    http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780399256967

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  14. create account using Facebook or OpenID

I'd like to use your web site, but I really don't want to create yet another username and password. Too lazy. Why not just use OpenID, Facebook, or something else as an option for logging into the site? Ironically, I can use Facebook or Google to sign in to this very support system! Please let me do this to post comments, etc, on the Mighty Girl site itself.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  15. I love the site, but...

...every always has a 'but.' This is an amazing site, and I'm already madly in love with it. Would it be possible though to have a search function that works by child's age?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Kate,

The site is designed to easily allow you to sort any category by age. If you select a category – for instance, books – on the left menu bar you should see a set of different filters, one of which is ‘recommended age’ (just below category). You can filter within any sub-category as well — for example, you can click on ‘picture books’ under ‘fiction’ and filter just that group by age.

You can also use the use the search function to search for a specific topic (although I think the menu and sub-menus are generally a better way to explore the site content) and then use the filter to sort the results by age. Please let me know if you have any questions about how the age filtering works.

We’re so glad to hear that you like the site!

All the best,
    Carolyn

Carolyn Danckaert
    Founder, A…

16. Blue Balliett Books

I'd like to suggest the books "Chasing Vermeer", "The Wright 3" and "The Calder Game" by Blue Balliett. They involve two kids (a girl and a boy in Vermeer, with a second boy joining with the second book) who solve art related mysteries using math, writing, textual analysis and good old fashioned boundry pushing. The books themselves have codes and clues imbedded within them. I think these would be a great addition to A Mighty Girl because they show girls and boys working together as friends and the perspective shifts so we get to hear from all of the kids,…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  17. Gilmore Girls

I'd like to suggest Gilmore Girls for a TV show. (So glad you included Veronica Mars and Buffy!)

Also, you could add the original picture book of Jane and the Dragon.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  18. Tweak Tweak by Eve Bunting

A cute picture book about a young elephant and her mama, you don't know the kid is a girl until the end, though it has nothing to do with the story, a nice touch.

Thanks for your wonderful site!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. Lauren Ipsum by Carlos Bueno

Have just bought this for my Kindle, so can't comment on the content. I did, however, read the sample, and it's a similar setup to Spirited Away. The girl, Laurie, is confident and smart, but needs to find out about the world she's in to escape from it. Here's a quick introduction:

Have you ever heard of Userland? It's where you buy things with truly fair coins, deal in algorithms, and try to outwit logicians to gain access to the town of Symbol. There's all this and more in Lauren Ipsum, "a story about computer science and other improbable things."

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  20. Website

Perhaps Mightygirls (plural) would be even better. You are helping to raise many of them, not just one. Thank you for all your ideas and work!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base