Skip to content

General

128 results found

1. book recommendation

My daughter found a book in the library called "A Book" by Gerstein Mordicai. It is about a family in a book. Each member of the family has their own story, but the little girl doesn't know what her story is about. She goes through the book learning about the different types of stories out there (and ruling them out) until she realizes she wants to write her own story. I really enjoyed the story line and thought it belonged on your list of recommended books.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  2. Could you please offer a booklist option that would just be title and author?

I love looking at your book recommendations. I only wish there was a viewing option (in addition to the current options) that would give the title and author of the book only (no pics, no descriptions), so that I could easily print one or two sheets to take with us to the library. As it stands, if I try to print any of the current formats, there are too many pictures of the book covers, and it takes up too many pages to print! I like to have book lists in our folders to take to the library so we…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  3. Mighty girl birthday

I think you should try to offer birthday party supplies with mighty girl themes. I would buy it. :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  4. Recommended tv shows

I would like to suggest the Transformers Prime and Teen Titans shows for their strong and interesting female characters. My daughter enjoys Arcee from the Transformers show and both Starfire and Raven from Teen Titans. What's really good though, is that her brothers really like the characters too.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  5. Religious-ethnic diversity in Bios

Thanks for your fantastic Biography list. As a Jewish woman of middle-east/north african heritage with Ethiopian-Isreali Jewish and Ugandan Jewish and Indian Jewish friends, I'd sure love to see more books about creative & courageous Jewish girls and women who are NOT of Northern- / Eastern-European heritage. And even more basic, why are the vast majority of your bios of jewish females strictly about/from the Holocaust?? Important and inspiring as their stories are, there is so much more to Jewish-female history than the Holocaust, and it's actually problematic to present kids with images of Jewish life and people so focused…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  6. Post info about this great group (and add to your Pinterest list of resources)

Saw them in DC - awesome! Their dance performances come with "rap-like" affirmations of girl power - watch some of the videos from their webpage or facebook site. http://www.taratibu.org/

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. No Christmas for Olivia

ANNOUNCING - FREE BOOK PROMOTION

No Christmas for Olivia

Today through Monday, October 11 - 14, the first book of my second eBook series is free! I know you will love reading about how Olivia learns the true meaning of Christmas.

If you are thinking of a book for a gift this year - No Christmas for Olivia would be a good one! Download it, read it, share it, but most of all, Enjoy it!

In the story, Olivia is hurt and angry that her family is going to visit Aunt Fran in Phoenix over Christmas vacation. It means there…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  8. Stories to learn

Hello,

As someone interested in, and clearly knowledgeable about writing for children, I wanted to let you know about a new project all focusing on wonder of storytelling. I'm hoping that you either may be able to help, offer advice, are interested in the premise, or could share this with people who would like to get involved. Even a tweet would be grand!

Let’s Tell Stories was set up by myself and Javier Orti due to our belief that words give structure to our thoughts and feelings, and stories put perspective on things, offer understanding, help us reframe ideas, and…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Nomination of a film

Thank you for your website. I am a film scholar, and particularly interested in the messages that specifically animated films communicate to young viewers regarding gender. While I have noticed "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Princess Mononoke" listed on this site, I suggest that you consider adding "My Neighbour Totoro" by the same director, Hayao Miyazaki - it is another example of his empowering depiction of young female protagonists, and a particularly charming film for very young viewers (although not exclusively).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  10. Hi Carolyn & Aaron, thanks for your great work and labor of love!

I am directing the creation of a new series of books, called the Guardian Princesses, that will transform the representation of princesses as leaders who take action to protect their people and the planet. Our stories promote racial, ethnic and gender diversity and taking care of the environment for future generations.
    www.guardianprincesses.com
    Since our goals are shared, we would like to ally with you believing that our books will contribute to the lack of racial and cultural diversity in books about "independent princesses." Our first books series introduce an Latina, African, East Asian, European, Indigenous, Mixed Race and South Asian…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  11. 'Ellen Foster' -- she's a Mighty Girl!

Hi - forgive me if I've missed this book in your truly incredible collection here, but have you ever read 'Ellen Foster' by author Kaye Gibbons? This character is truly a Mighty Girl to me! Has anyone read this book?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  12. Miya's Hair Day

Great book, about a young African-American girl and her "hair wash day" rituals with her mother. In the story she insists on her hair being left alone to be "natural, curly, wild, and free! Just beautiful Miya! Yay, that's me!" The book ends with the words: You Are Beautiful Just As You Are (YABJAYA!)

Definitely a message worth sharing with the "girl" in us all!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. FarmHer

Here's a project you might like to profile :

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/08/photographing-the-female-face-of-farming/

Wonderful photos of strong, capable women.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  14. Emily Brown books by Cressida Cowell

Hi.
    I think all mighty girls would enjoy reading about Emily Brown. Written by Cressida Cowell.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  15. a mighty girl

I just wanted to let you know about an awesome mighty girl I saw over the weekend. I was at the Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hill Climb this past weekend, August 17, 2013. The youngest cyclist, 11 year old Maria Goodwin, of Silver Lake, N.H. rode her bike 7 miles to the top of Mt. Washington, what an accomplishment, doing it in 2 hours and 13 minutes. Go Maria!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  16. Fairies and Chicks...

My daughter and I randomly chose some books from the library today and we discovered another great girl favourite - "Tough Chicks" (Meng/Suber) - we also found "The Mud Fairy" (Young) on another trip and love that both give the message that girls can be whatever girl they want whether it's getting dirty with frogs or playing in swamps or doing anything that isn't "girly"! Couldn't find these on the extensive list of yours so I thought I'd suggest them!
    LOVE your site!
    Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  17. Female Astronauts!

All Might Girls will be interested to know about the four female astronauts currently working for NASA. I think this topic would be a great feature on A Might Girl:
    http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/why-dont-we-appreciate-smart-women/
    Let's learn and remember their names!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
  18. Mighty Girl Magazine

Well, it isn't really MY idea, but I remember reading somewhere about attempts to get a Mighty Girl Magazine up and off the ground, but I can't find any information on it anywhere...I was so thrilled with the prospect of a magazine for young women that was nurturing, inspiring, and encouraging to replace the shaming, oppressive, vapid swill that one currently finds on the shelves. Is this still happening? Is there any more information? I, and quite a few of my friends, were really interested in the idea of a Mighty Girl Magazine. Please, let us know!

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)